Buckhorn Real Estate
Browse through MLS real estate listings in Buckhorn, ON. Browse photos and watch virtual tours.
The Mississauga Indian along with a number of other tribes used the lakes and streams in the area as a means of transportation and a source for food through fishing. The 20′ high rock, located near the bridge on the shores of Buckhorn rapids, known as “Council Rock” is believed to be the site of Indian Council meetings. Lumber was a chief export industry with a number of mills built in the area producing squared timbers, ship’s masts, shingles, barrels etc. These products were transported via the inland waterways to Quebec for shipment to Great Britain and Europe. A large portion was also shipped down the Erie Canal (opened in 1825) to New York.
There is an historical plaque between Lock31 and the dam honoring John Hall, the first settler of this area (1827), who constructed a dam and sawmill there in 1830. Two millstones, recovered from the rubble near the site of the original mill, are on display. Look for the stone with the square hole, it moved while the other remained stationary during the grinding of grains into flour. He became the first postmaster so the settlement was named “Hall’s Bridge”. However, John Hall’s collection of deer antlers displayed on the outside walls of his mills gave rise to the name Buckhorn. It wasn’t until 1936 the hamlet became officially recognized as by its present name.
Folklore tells a story about beautiful Sandy Lake also known as “Lake of Spirits”. In the south bay and visible from Lakehurst Road is a large, heart shaped rock known as the “Giants Heart”. On calm days ripples form over the rock causing it to look as though the “Heart” is beating. This lake is land locked and has no feeder river but water flows out of the lake and down Sandy Creek to Buckhorn Lake.
Accredited Buyer Representative
Kelli Lovell ~ Broker 705.738.2110